Concerns should first be raised with either the class teacher or headteacher. If the issue remains unresolved, the next step is to make a formal complaint.


If you are unhappy or have concerns about the School or a person associated with the School then you may wish to make a complaint, in the first instance complaints should be addressed to the Headteacher.

Contact details:

Telephone: 01271 870551

If your complaint is about the Headteacher then contact the Chief Executive Officer via the Clerk

Telephone: 01237 879382



Our full Complaints policy can be found on the Trust Website.